My KCC Election Manifesto & Video

Tuesday, 18 April 2017

General Election My Thoughts

So Theresa May said she would never call a snap general election then she did. So what!  Why all the fuss?   She’s a politician and like 99% of all politicians she lies  deceives and misleads. It’s in their DNA.  They can’t help themselves. And let’s face it if the boot was on the other foot Labour, the LibDems and UKIP would have done exactly the same. With your main  political opponent at war with itself  and scoring its  worst  poll ratings in almost 40 years I defy anyone, no matter how principled they claim to be, not to have done have done the same as Theresa May.

So the question is what are the issues in this election? Clearly Brexit is, for  many people, the  number one issue.  But  I for one don’t want to see this election become a re-run of last year’s referendum. I voted for Brexit last year for a number of reasons including the way EU treated Greece, the Brussels democratic deficit, and live animal exports. As far as I am concerned we voted out  and out it will be. But having said that I do believe that parliament should be able to scrutinise and influence the terms on which we leave the EU.
But for me the big issue in this election is our divided society. We have become a nation of haves and have nots. For a so-called civilised country, far too many people are living in poverty. Far too many people are being forced to accept poor housing,   inadequate health care and education, abysmal social care and limited job opportunities. Whilst others enjoy the best everything. There is no sharing. There is no equality of sacrifice. There are no broad shoulders bearing their share of the burden. We are also becoming less and less democratic. Human rights are being eroded, Access to justice denied and discrimination increasing.

But sadly the party which might normally have been looked on as the organisation which could have righted some of these wrongs  is almost certainly going to be hammered into the ground on June the 6th. I also suspect that UKIP, having served its purpose, will  go the same way. My expectation is that there will  be a huge Tory landslide on June 6th  which will herald even more austerity and tough times for those least able to cope.
The only good thing I can see coming from this election is left of centre people re-grouping into some type of non-partisan coalition which can build the basis of a new, modern,  progressive political force to tackle the poverty and injustice which plagues our society. I will certainly be keen to be part of something like this.

7 comments:

  1. Ian didn't you once stand as a Labour candidate, then jumped shipped as independent, and then only to jump ship once again as a Green Candidate
    So when you say politicians cant be trusted not to say one thing and then do the other....pot kettle springs to mind...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes you are absolutely right and absolutely right to bring this up. But the difference is that I never publically promised to remain in the Labour Party or the Green Party as Theresa May did with her public promise not to hold a snap election. As I explained in my manifesto I have become disillusioned with party politics. Your can read what I said here http://iandriverthanet.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/my-kent-county-council-manifesto-video.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thought it was June the 8th

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your right it is the 8th. Wishful thinking on my part. We'll all be fed with politics by then, myself included.

      Delete
  4. Regardless of party bade we have idiots with Thanet UKIP and Thanet Tories and Thanet Labour. None of theme have done anything except corruption around Manston and Pleasurama and Dreamland and the Tory election

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true anon. Scoundrels ne'er-do-wells and lazy-good-for-nothings seem to be a feature of Thanet's political elite. Time for a change methinks. But hang about a minute does that mean I must sack myself?

      Delete
    2. Time for Change indeed. And a fresh start for you outside the parties. Unless the Thor or Manston cancer takes effect

      Delete